Thursday, December 17, 2009

Splitsville.



I normally don't blog about celeb couple break ups - I have more important things to write about...like MacGruber and the Holidazzle parade...but Reese & Jakey G is an especially sad one because they seemed pretty solid, and I stood about a foot from them at a party in LA back in 2007 and got to observe them in all their glory. I am related to Rufus Wainwright in a roundabout way that takes way too long to explain, but there are definite perks to this arrangement, and that includes getting free tix to see his performances. He was performing his "Judy Garland Live at Carnegie Hall" concert at the Hollywood Bowl in September of 2007 and a bunch of my family members were going, so I decided to join in the fun. It was a great show - as always, he's amazing - and afterward we were invited to the private party at Carrie Fischer aka Princess Lea's gorgeous house in Coldwater Canyon. The crowd was a rando mix of people who looked somewhat familiar, celebs like Debbie Reynolds (Carrie's mom) and bigwigs I knew by name but wouldn't have been able to pick out of a line up. For example, my aunt was reintroducing us to Rufus and as we told him how incredible his performance was, this man came up and whisked him away. My aunt just said, "well I guess you don't mess with David Geffen." The don of the gay mafia had just stolen Rufus away from us. Sweet.

Then we heard the rumor that Jake G and Reese - who had been dating, then not dating but apparently were back together on the DL - were at the party. My little sis got super excited as Reese is one of her favorite actresses - she grew up watching Legally Blonde and an assortment of Reese's romcoms. So we did a few laps around the party to check it out. It didn't look like they were there, but then a few minutes later we walked outside into the backyard and there they were, just chillin and talking to Rufus and a bunch of peeps in a group. Reese was like a little teense china doll, tiny with perfect features, like a mini-person who didn't look real. Jake was tall and gorg and sort of tripped as he tried to squeeze by behind me. It was tough, but I managed not to tell him I didn't know how to quit him or yell out Jack Nasty. Thankfully I had to drive and was not partaking in the open bar with the vigor I would have had I not had to drive through LA. Drunken Brokeback jokes could have been a bit embarrassing.

I  met Jake's dad a few minutes later and he was very nice - the whole Gyllenhaal family is friends with the Wainwrights..Rufus's sister Lucy who is my cousins's niece and a great singer/songwriter was Maggie G and Peter Saaaaaaaarsgaaaaaard's nanny for a while until she started touring as an artist, so they are all interconnected.

I've come across quite a few celebs in my day and its really not all that exciting, after all they are just people like all of us..but I guess its kind of cool to have exciting stories like this one to blog about. And its still sad when they break up, just like it is for everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment