Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Blast From The Past:

I'm not really sure why, but while in SF we were hanging with friends in their room at the St. Regis, snacking on gummi bears like you do and one of them decided to pull up this very dramatic, modulation filled theme song from "Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears," which I used to watch when I was a wee lassie. I was born in 1977, apparently making me the prime target age for marketers and advertisers who were just figuring out how to sell toys directly to little kids: by making each toy in the store come to life as a cartoon for our Saturday morning enjoyment, and making sure every cartoon character on TV had a plastic counterpart in the toy section of Target. Then they discovered making movies based on cartoons. I believe its what they call.."synergy." Or, more ways for kids to harass their parents to buy them shite they saw on TV. The commercials for toys would often interrupt the show based on that same toy ie "My Little Pony," which I got several of at my 9th birthday party, making me a very happy girl. I also remember the day I got my She-Ra Crystal Castle - it was quite a happy one. Since I have a little one on the way and cartoons will soon be a part of my existence, I've decided to post some of my favorite theme songs from cartoons of the early 80s. Enjoy.

















The Smurfs are a whole lot funnier in German. Maybe even Smurfier. I love these shows and they are probably a lot better than whatever's on today, Dora? Spongebob? I don't even know..but its obvious the people making these things in the 80s were doing some serious booger sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment