Tuesday, March 24, 2009

V-List Beauty Tips:

A fabulous South Beach getaway requires a lot of prep work, especially in the personal grooming department. I was long overdue for a mani/pedi and wanted to be able to show off my toes in the new gladiators without frightening people. So, after suffering through the heinous dental chair experience in Uptown, I headed over to Ocean's Spa and Nails in St. Louis Park. I hadn't been there in a few months, but plan to make it my only mani/pedi spot this spring and summer because they're by far the best in town. It's a little more expensive than some of the cheapee nail places ($45 for mani/pedi, still a good deal) but that's because they have a little box for each person where they keep tools they will only use on you. If you go there for the first time, they will bust out a new set and save them for you in case you return - never reusing the same tools on anyone else, ever. So its completely sanitary and quite luxurious for a nail salon, with a virtual sea of relaxing blue walls, aqua massage chairs and an aquarium of tropical fish.

Once my nails were dry, I drove through the downpour back to Uptown to get my eyebrows waxed and tinted at Revamp! Salon Spa. I've been going there for a few years to get my brows done by Amy, who is an awesome aesthetician. She was busy one time when I needed an appt and I wound up with another girl who proceeded to tell me about 20 times in her thick Minnesotan accent that she's known as the "Queen of Brows" and that I would absolutely love her work..but I didn't. At all. And am pretty sure she should be known as the Queen of Bragging and Sucking. So since then, I will only go to Amy. I've never had another service there and probably won't, but I'm always happy with her work on my uber blonde brows that are almost non-existent if I don't get them tinted.

I also stopped by Trader Joe's to pick up a some snacks, bottles of vino and the Tea Tree Oil Facial Cleansing Pads I am completely addicted to and have not been able to live without since I discovered them. They are only $3.99 (for 50) and an easy, breezy way to remove make-up, dirt and the assorted nastiness from the day. The tea tree oil smells and feels quite strong and leaves your face feeling tingling and fresh, ready to put on nighttime moisturizer and go nighty night. I've actually noticed a slight improvement on my 31-year-old face since I've started doing this routine..and at $3.99 there's no reason not to.

Tomorrow I'll visit Trish at Brian Graham Salon for a little trim on the bangs and possibly stop by Planet Beach for a spray tan, but will most likely just show up in South Beach looking like an albino Beluga whale.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting content.

    Just wanted to share some information that may help busy professionals caught up with work and who have less time to maintain their nails. You can try out gel nails which are now becoming a hot favorite as they are natural looking even without nail tips and the best way for nail enhancement. Also, if you are allergic to those strong smelling chemicals which you can experience with acrylic nails, then you should use gel nails as these are odorless.

    However, when you are planning on gel nail application, make sure you approach a nail salon or a nail artist who is well versed with gel nails and is properly trained and mastered in gel applications. This will save you from problems that can arise with improper gel nail applications.

    ReplyDelete