Monday, May 4, 2009

San Francisco Spotlight: Hayes Valley

La Boulange de Hayes
Frjtz
Hotel Biron Wine Bar & Art Gallery
Christopher Elbow Chocolates
Miette

I have had several friends ask me for tips on where to go in San Francisco and the wine country recently, so I'll start sharing some of my favorite spots on the blog. I decided to start with the Hayes Valley neighborhood because I used to live there and its my favorite hood by far. The New York Times once called it the Hippest Neighborhood in America and hipsters truly abound here, but are more than willing to share their swanky little hole-in-the-wall hangouts with everyone - even if you have a little flare to your jeans and don't wear their uniform of skinnies, hoodies, sunnies and flats. Which somehow I normally found myself wearing when I stayed there for a month last year. A few of my favorite things to do in Hayes Valley:

~ Shop at many of the amazing shoe stores like Gimme Shoes, Bulo Women and Paolo Shoes.

~ Pop into Frjtz for a Hoegarden and some fries with wasabi mayo or black olive ketchup. Very modern and very European. They used to have a back patio when I lived there with DJs spinning and a more boho feel but redid the space last year - still cool but not as good.

~ Grab a cheap pint for happy hour at Place Pigalle and play some pool. Kind of divey, dark and dirty with lots of cool art and old vintage couches.

~ Enjoy a sugar rimmed green tea cocktail at the sassy Sugar Lounge, great drinks, atmosphere (lamps that look like sugar) and DJs spinning downtempo beats.

~ Feel very European while sitting outside and lunching on a salad, sandwich or chocolate croissant and cafe au lait at La Boulange de Hayes. Tres magnifique.

~ Stop by Blue Bottle Coffee for a strong, shade grown cuppa joe. It's a kiosk down an alleyway with just a few places to sit, so take your coffee on a stroll around the neighborhood.

~ Pop some bubbly at the Hotel Biron Wine Bar & Art Gallery down on Rose street - feels very European and super small and cozy with lots of brick and candles.

~ Savor a piece of chocolate that looks like art and tastes like heaven at Christopher Elbow chocolates. With interesting flavors such as strawberry basil caramel, a box of these chocolates are a perfect gift for a friend or for yourself.

~ Bring your laptop and work from Cafe La Vie - free wifi, modern decor, great coffee and huge windows that open so it feels like you're sitting outside even when you're in. This place was my SF office.

~ Sip a glass of vino in the backyard at Arlequin wine shop and cafe - there's no better place to sip a glass of white wine on a warm spring evening than in their back yard, under ther cherry blossom trees.

~ Visit Terry at Blo Salon. He was my hairstylist for 6 years and never gave me a cut or color I didn't love. I even let him make me into a gingee for a bit.

~ Stop by Miette candy shop even if you don't buy anything - one of the cutest shops I've seen, anywhere. And I love their logo.

~ Pluck some fresh blooms at the fabulous Rose & Radish flower boutique - Jeff had some uber creative and gorgeous arrangements sent to my office for my birthday and Valentine's. Awww.

~ Drink your dessert at Jade Bar - best chocolate martini around and a very cool 3 story lofty space with a huge waterfall..I always loved it when I lived in Hayes Valley..little did I know that someday I'd be living in a place very similar. Minus the waterfall.

~ Window shop at the fantastic but super pricey modern design furniture stores, many carry Blu Dot furniture.

~ Walk up the hill to Alamo Square to get that oh so famous view of Victorians. There are tennis courts up there with the best view in town - my favorite spot to play, although it can get a bit breezy.

~ Keep walking down Hayes into the North of Pan Handle neighborhood and have an amazing dinner and cocktails at one of my favorite restaurants - NoPa.

No comments:

Post a Comment