Thursday, October 22, 2009

Date Night: The Anchor & A Serious Man




What's more random than fish & chips and a Coen brothers movie about their formative years in St. Louis Park? Not much. El Jefe and I checked out The Anchor and "A Serious Man" last week, but not on the same night. With a bun in the oven and lots of new eps of my favorite shows, one outing a night can suffice these days.

The Anchor is the latest addition to the cute little NE neighborhood of 13th St that includes Erte, Peacock Lounge (one of the swankiest spots in town that I always forget about), The Modern and the new NE Social that looks adorbz and I definitely plan to try soon. I had a strange craving for fish & chips last week and like trying new places, so we ventured out on a chilly fall night to check out The Anchor. There was about a 25 minute wait so we tromped through the leaves and walked around the cute little hood that is close to where I live and I don't go to often enough. I liked the decor a lot - its cozy and kind of how I imagine a pub in Dublin would feel. The fish & chips is a generous portion for only $8 - 2 huge pieces of fish that are not greasy at all, and perfect fries. My only problem was their lack of malt vinegar. Which is all I really wanted in the first place..I only like fish & chips as a way to sop up malt vinegar. So it was kind of strange they didn't have any in the whole restaurant - only white. Jeff got an incredible veggie burger with white cheddar that it says on the menu is from Mill City Cafe - one of my fave brunch places - so if I go back to The Anchor, I'd probably get a veggie or regular burger because fish & chips without malt vinegar just won't do.

"A Serious Man" was definitely interesting, if you enjoy random time and place character study indie movies without a lot going on plotwise, which I do. They captured what it was probably like to grow up in St. Louis Park in the 60s and attend Hebrew school. Not really a movie that's for everyone, but it gets the MLotVL seal of the approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment