Monday, August 9, 2010

Recent Summertime Foodie Adventures:


*Walking with Jefe and Gus across the river to Aster Cafe on St. Anthony Main for soprasetta, goat cheese, olive tapenade and apple, bleu cheese, bacon flatbread pizzas, fantastic earl grey infused tea cocktails and the peace de la resistance - Izzy's dark chocolate zinfandel ice cream. SO good. I've also had their carrot cake and it was delish.

*Lunching on chips, guacamole, salsa and pork belly tacos outside along Nicolett mall  @ Barrio with two of my besties, one of whom was up from Iowa for the day, followed by Nicolett Pothole aka Yumtown ice cream from Sebastian Joe's and a walk around Lake of the Isles. Fab. I <3 Barrio.

*Walking Gus along Minnehaha Creek/Falls and lunching on shrimp tacos, Thai curry mussels, yummy Sebastian Joes Oatmeal Raisin Cookie ice cream and some strong Belgian beers at Sea Salt with a good friend.

*Meeting friends for a walk around Lake Calhoun and lunch on the patio of The View. I always get the tomato, mozzarella, basil, avocado salad with balsamic reduction and our waitress suggested adding a side of flank steak, so I did, and it was awesome. Add a glass of cold Clos du Bois chard and that is my new favorite, if a bit luxurious, lunch. *Sidenote,  I didn't get the memo that becoming a mom would make me join the chardonnay club..pre mommyhood I always drank sauvignon blanc but for some reason now I crave the buttery goodness of a nice glass of cold chardonnay. Some of my best fellow mommy friends have a torpedo of chard chilling in the fridge at all times, and sadly, now I do too. Haven't gone to the boxed wine quite yet.

*Late night dinner across the street at Bar La Grassa while Gus slept in his stroller. I can't seem to make myself order anything other than the red wine spaghetti with pine nuts - its just too good. I also tried one of their cocktails with house made limoncello and it was delish. So lucky to have that place across the street from our loft.

*Walking downtown with Jefe and Gus to try the late night $5 appetizer happy hour at Om. We hadn't ever been there, and were disappointed to learn they were only offering pizzas for $5. Last time I checked, pizza is not Indian food, and that is lame. Plus there was really weird, loud live jazz downstairs, too loud for my sleeping Guster. So we left, met up with Jeff's brother and girlfriend and walked back to our hood and sat outside at the Monte Carlo, the only place where I always order one Grey Goose dirty martini with 3 olives, up, cuz they know how to make a mean martini, and I can walk home from there. Also tried the steak sandwich with fries which was delish. I love their patio, need to go there more often.

*Walking with Gus and Jefe through Boom Island Park over to Ginger Hop for a couple of delicious St. Germaine elderflower, Sake, Pomegrante cocktails and the Seoul Food - korean BBQ ribs with stir-fried noodles and kimchi.

*Craving sushi and wanting to go to Azia before they shut down (last night, sadly) but not wanting to drive on a nice summer night, we decided to walk over to Origami for sushi and ran into some good friends who live in the hood on our way. We don't go there very often but always love it when we do. Got some excellent Tuna Tataki, Caterpillar Rolls, Spicy Tuna Rolls, Edamame, Hot Sake and Saporos.

*Walking Gus a few blocks down Washington to Sapor to meet with my clients where we shared the beet salad pizza, french fries, falafel and sipped white wine on cheap happy hour specials. Then my clients went off to another meeting and Jefe walked down when he was done with work and met us outside where we had a couple of cocktails and I tried the mac & cheese, which was delish, out on the patio. I've had just about everything on the happy hour menu and need to go there more often for their regular menu - everything I've had there is delish. We wound up running into Jeff's old co-worker/friend who joined us for a glass of wine, and then we met some friends on the patio of Cuzzy's for some pitchers of light beer after dinner and walked back home.

In summary, apparently I have spent a lot of time walking Gus around the chain of lakes/river walking trails/throughout my neighborhood, and I like ice cream, booze and food. A lot. All this summertime walking to pork out is not helping me lose the baby weight...but that's what winter is for. Next up on the agenda for walking/eating: MN State Fair, a couple of Twins games, a week long trip to Boston and Labor Day weekend in Las Vegas. Look out.

No comments:

Post a Comment