Friday, March 12, 2010

MLotVL Approved: Alice in Wonderland in 3D & The Shops at West End

We finally found a couple of hours to see "Alice in Wonderland" last night at the fancy new Shops at West End outdoor mall/upscale shopping/dining/movie theater/entertainment spectacular that made me feel like I was right back home in The OC, where the "fancy outdoor mall" was prettymuch invented. This is actually a good thing for MN, and we need more of these, less Block Es. I'm sick of only being able to shop at indoor malls and stores connected by skyways, except for a few upscale neighborhoods like 50th and France, East Hennepin, etc. While the indoor malls are convenient on the few truly freezing days of the year, the rest of the time it will be nice to finally have an upscale outdoor option like the Shops at West End, where you can pop into various shops, have lunch at one of the many restaurants, catch a flick and then shop some more - without spending the entire day breathing recycled air of fellow mallrats. I was happy to see an Anthropologie and some other promising stores going in soon, and its only about 5 minutes from our loft, located right at 394 and 100. So I don't feel like I'm venturing too far into the burbs. Not sure about the uberlame Toby Keith owned restaurant "I Love This Bar and Grill" complete with mechanical bull that's opening there soon though..

The movie theater is pretty fancy - they have VIP seating where you can order food and cocktails and sit in more comfy chairs if you want..but the price is steep: 2 VIP movie tickets in 3D will set you back $37, just for admission. We just got regular tix for the 3D showing and it was $27 - also pretty steep - but worth it since the screen was huge, crystal clear, sound was perfect and the whole 3D thing completely blew me away. I haven't seen Avatar yet, its next on my list..but I'm glad Alice was my very first 3D experience, because I loved everything about it and have been excited to see it for months. The Disney classic was one of my favorite movies/stories/rides at Disneyland growing up..and I had many Mad Hatter birthday parties in the Alice in Wonderland decorated party room at Skateway, the skating rink my dad managed when I was a wee lass in the late 70s, early 80s. I had heard a few people complain about the script, but I thought it was great, and the visuals were absolutely gorgeous - especially all the flowers, mushrooms and gardens of Wonderland blooming right there in front of your face. I highly recommend seeing this movie, in 3D, at The Shops as West End. We topped off the night with some late night happy hour apps at Azia - $5 sesame ping pong wings, cream cheese wontons, edamame, sushi and a virgin Mai Tai for me, then went home to watch hilarious eps of The Office and 30 Rock on the DVR. Nice little Thursday date night.

No comments:

Post a Comment