Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Time To Make The Donuts..


Lil' Gus Gus made me crave donuts this morning, specifically a black and white donut from Sarah Jane's bakery in NE. He's very particular. So I rolled out of bed and kept on the comfy prego sweatpants I slept in (that I hilariously caught Jefe wearing the other day - they're super comfy, from Target) a cozy sweater and my Merrills and made the journey over to Johnson street. I got a donut at Sarah Jane's and brought it over to Audobon coffee to enjoy my donut with a half coffee/half hot chocolate - my new favorite semi caffeinated bevvie, and dug into the new book I picked up yesterday - Beautiful Boy - which so far, is really interesting.

The donut store/fatty ratio in MN does not make sense to me. There's like 1 donut store for every 1000 fatties and you would think the fatties would have done something about it by now. Why can't we have more donut stores/bakeries?? Is everyone just happy to buy an occasional crappy donut or pastry from the gas station or Caribou? In SF there are independently owned donut stores on every corner - many of them double as Chinese take out restaurants, since apparently you need a deep frier for both. My favorite in our neighborhood was Happy Fancy Lucky Star Chinese Donut Fast Food - we always drove by and said "Kung Pao Bear Craw prease" - which is still funny. But I digress..I really am curious as to why I have to drive a good 10 minutes to pick up an edible donut when I get one of my cravings. I know Dunkin' Donuts is coming here soon but a lame chain is just not the same. And yes, I know everyone on the east coast loves their "Dunkin'" - esp the coffee which doesn't seem that great to me..but I don't get it. Independent donut shops are where its at, people. Can someone please open one in the North Loop ASAP??

No comments:

Post a Comment