Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Name is Natalie and I'm a Foodie.

I blame San Francisco and the 7 years I lived there - it was virtually impossible not to become a foodie. There are literally hundreds of incredible restaurants in the city, and the competition is stiff, so the prices aren't. I started out working as a waitress at a fancy Mexican restaurant called Maya during the .com boom, and my fellow servers and I would take our cash filled purses right to the best restaurants in town every night to gorge on amazing food and wine as soon as we clocked out. And we'd dance off all the calories at the clubs where DJs were spinning that special brand of SF deep house until the wee hours - I blame SF for my love of dance music as well. Then I got a job at a lifestyle PR firm and was paid to attend many openings and media dinners where the chefs would bring out course after course at the restaurants we represented. One of the things I miss most about San Francisco is the food.

When I moved to Minneapolis in 2004 I knew there were a few good restaurants, but I am thrilled about all the wonderful establishments that have popped up since I arrived. The restaurants I frequent most often are 112 Eatery, Toast, Azia, Bulldog NE, Zeno, Barrio, Black Sheep Pizza, Jasmine 26, Thum Rup Thai, Broder's, W.A.Frost, Lucia's, Chambers Kitchen, and Lurcat. I'm happy to see that several restauranteurs from that list are on the James Beard Award semi-finalist list.

I recently made my foodie ways more a part of VimLab by taking over the Twin Cities Supper Club, representing Chef Shack and throwing my annual VimLab Guac Off and will do my part to keep supporting our fabulous culinary community.

No comments:

Post a Comment