Thursday, May 7, 2009

Just Go There: The Guthrie





Tuesday was a gorgeous night and after I whipped up a Mexican Cinco de Mayo fiesta, we needed to walk off some calories, so headed down River Road and wound up at The Guthrie for a drink as we often do. I love that I can walk there from my loft. You can get a delicious cocktail in the Target Lounge and then sit outside overlooking the river and new 35W Bridge that changes colors on a lovely warm evening - we watched it go from blue to green and the bartender said it also turns hot pink and teal. I've heard those colors were some sort of mistake, but they actually turned out really cool and are a nice addition to the view. Much better than the old 35 W Bridge that was half in the river.

But I'm confused. So, we have this amazing building inside and out, designed by French architect Jean Nouvel, with several gorgeous bars and restaurants that are open until midnight Tuesday - Sunday, plus fabulous views of the river and every time I've been there, said bars and restaurants are completely empty while people are watching a play. Jeff and I can't be the only people who love the space and just go there for drinks - especially if you live and/or work downtown or in the North Loop. More young people really need to visit the bars and check out the plays as well - everything I've seen there has been spectacular, and the crowd getting out of the play the other night was 65+. Come on Minnesotans! If you don't take advantage of The Guthrie, you are really missing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment