Thursday, April 16, 2009

Just Go There: NYC.





Last night after walking around Lake Calhoun with my favorite entitled blonde, over tomato, avocado, mozzarella salads and sauv blanc at The View, we were discussing her upcoming trip to NYC..and how she wants to check out some new, sophisticated places instead of the divee, college bars she normally frequents when she visits. Jeff and I were there in October to check out the gorg fall leaves with one of our favorite couples who we used to hang with every night but sadly they got an offer they couldn't refuse for work in Beantown and moved there a few years ago. We've met up with them for luxurious getaways in Napa, Montreal and NYC and luckily none of us mind spending some bling on fabulous dinners and cocktails at incredible spots when we travel. Here are a few we checked out in NY and some of my favorite spots from previous trips - at least the ones I can remember the names of...and more photos than I could fit above:

1. Grape and Grain - (photo 1 above) cozy wine bar in the newly gentrified Alphabet City that serves pizzas and small plates, with an even smaller and cuter mini-wine bar next door. All brick walls, candles and dark wood with an amazing wine list - definitely my kind of place.

2. Gramercy Park Hotel (photo 2 above) another one of Ian Schrager's gorgeous hotels - ever since I worked on the opening of his Clift in SF and met him I've been obsessed and always need to go check out his latest. I think the Gramercy is my favorite - they call it Baroque Romantic/Rock & Roll and walking in it feels like you've just taken one of Alice in Wonderland's "eat me" pills and fallen down the rabbit hole into a very curious place. Checkered floors, crushed velvet, chandeliers and roaring fireplaces create quite an atmosphere. I would probably decorate my loft this way if Jeff would let me, but he won't, so I have to settle for going to the Gramercy for a $20 champagne cocktail every time I'm in New York.

3. Cafe Lalo - (photo 3 above) uber cute little cafe about a block from my aunt's apt on the Upper West Side, where I lived for 6 months. I always liked the old Frenchie booze posters and lights in the trees outside, so I walked in one day to see if they were hiring and the owner hired me on the spot, as a hostess. I lasted exactly one shift - bored out of my gored standing around all day - I did much better as a waitress than a hostess. But I still love going there for a cocktail or dessert.

4. Suba - (photo 4 above) Spanish restaurant on the lower east side with a space that feels like you're in an art exhibit - modern and chic with little waterways throughout and lots of stairs. I had some incredible paella - the best I've had outside of Barcelona where a couple we met invited us over for a dinner party and made it for us.

5. Hotel Gansevoort (photo 5) - amazing hotel in the Meatpacking District with a pool on the roofdeck overlooking the city where I spent much of my time when I stayed there a few years ago. I went to NYC with Charlie Lazor for a FlatPak exhibit we put up inside Javits Convention Center for the International Contemporary Furniture Fair in 2005 (you can go visit the pocket FlatPak that now in the Walker Sculpture Garden) and we spent many nights up on the roofdeck drinking expensive mojitos overlooking the city. You don't have to stay there to have drinks on the roofdeck and I highly recommend checking it out. I love all the places in this hood - we had vino at Nero,with Charlie's wife - Jay and Whitney went there on The City so you know it has to be good - and I had a PR meeting with Charlie on the patio of Pastis just like fancy celebs do. They always loved Spice Market which I've always wanted to check out because it's a Jean-George restaurant just like Chambers Kitchen. And the Hog Pit is a fun little BBQ joint with cheap beers - it was our first stop on our trip there in October.

6. Soho Grand - a very generous friend who we were going to crash with wound up getting sick, so he put us up at this luxurious, fantastic hotel right in the heart of Soho, my favorite neighborhood ever - a place I could spend days just walking around window shopping, and have. I always have to visit FCUK in Soho because they have the best stuff and it's always on sale. Next time I go I will be checking out Top Shop down there as well. The bar at the Soho Grand was the first "boutique hotel bar as destination for drinks" and its still a great place to sip a cocktail and people watch. The rooms were stocked with fabulous amenities and there was a super comfy bed, with a view of Soho. Perfection.

7. The Bowery Hotel - down on the lower east side, we just went there for drinks and to check it out..feels like you were transported to on glamorous African safari or something at least from what I can remember.. there are plants and candles everywhere to create a mood and soft glow perfect for celeb spotting, which we did with Shannyn Sossamon who was sipping a cocktail on one of the many couches.

8. Lombardi's Pizza - literally America's First Pizzeria, been there since 1905 and they don't mess around. It is the best pizza I've ever had, bar none. Thin crust, delicious tomato sauce, coal fired perfection. It's on Spring street in an awesome area with super cute bars and restaurants that I don't know the names of, but its one of my favorite places to hang in NY.

8. Black & White - laid back little dive bar in the East Village where lots of celebs hang out and the drinks are pretty cheap. It's kind of like every other dive bar in NY, but better. We saw some guy who was apparently on Top Design or something but I don't watch that show so had no idea who he was.

9. Lucky Strike - awesome brunch spot right near the Soho Grand in Soho - the brunch there was prettymuch perfection. But the street Soho Grand is on is like Brunch Row - so many great spots to choose from.

10. Balthazar - ultimate French bistro in Soho, we only went there for champagne and oysters at the bar but its a cool vibe and I'm sure the rest of the food is fantastic.

11. Mercer Hotel and Mercer Kitchen - another Jean-George restaurant in the heart of Soho, we had dinner there with Charlie and a bunch of other famous designers an the food was great - the restaurant feels a lot like the Chambers Kitchen in Minneapolis. And the bar upstairs is also great, we've met friends for drinks there several times and they always have creative cocktails and a sassy atmosphere.

12. Gym - if you're looking for a gay sports bar in the heart of Chelsea, this is your place. My friend Nick owns it and we went on a Sunday afternoon when it was packed to the gills. We hung out downstairs in the Locker Room where he gave us way too many free drinks.

13. Elaine's - my BFF from high school has lived in New York since the day after we graduated and is an incredible writer, currently working on a book that I know is going to be a best seller. She also works at the New York Times. I met her at Elaine's last time I was there when she got off work and was there with some editors and writers from the NYT - I tried to get there as fast as possible because she texted that Chris Noth aka Mr. Big was sitting a few tables away. Alas, I missed my Big run in but got to meet owner Elaine and a lot of very interesting New Yorkers that night over many cocktails. This bar/restaurant on the Upper East side is the ultimate writers/celebrity hang out and has a lot of great history, so check it out and be ready to spot celebs and famous writers.

14. Williamsburg - I love this entire neighborhood in Brooklyn - only 2 stops on the subway from the East Village, its filled with hipsters - everyone looks like Beck - and amazing little bars and restaurants I don't remember the names of. Our friends used to live there so we got to explore many of the places..I do know we went to an awesome and reasonably priced Thai place called Sea that was delish, and featured in the opening sequence of "Garden State." Apparently Zack Braff thinks Brooklyn is New Jersey.

15. Zabar's - the ultimate gourmet grocery store, conveniently located a block from my aunt's apt on th Upper West Side. I would run down there for fantastic cheeses, olives, coffee, chocolate - whatever, it's all good. And there's a cafe next door where you can grab a sandwich or good old NY cup of joe.

16. Central Park - when I lived there I explored every trail, garden and lake and used to go there to write in my journal and listen to my Sony Discman. It was 1996! Still one of my favorite places ever, especially when the trees are in full bloom in spring or changing in the fall. Or after a snowfall, or in the summer with leafy greens - I guess I love Central Park all year round.

No comments:

Post a Comment