Monday, February 8, 2010

Claire Danes Better Win Some Awards For This One..

Saturday night, some of my more adventurous friends gathered in Wayzeta and proceeded to trek across Lake Minnetonka to have a bonfire on Big Island..a 4-mile journey I would have happily joined them for if I weren't in such a delicate condition. I took part in the pre-party festivities and then was back home, warm and cozy in my jammies by 10 pm to watch the HBO film "Temple Grandin" - a  remarkable true story. Based on a pair of books authored by the now 62-year-old animal science professor and autism advocate -whose rare ability to explain the disorder's effects changed the way both science and society perceive autism -the film documents Grandin's remarkable early adulthood and the people who helped her redirect the condition's devastating hallmarks into careers and international acclaim. And Claire plays Temple to perfection. She better win the Emmy and the Golden Globe and everything else possible for this one, because she is truly amazing in a very difficult role as the autistic Temple. The NY Times review explains it better than I can.

I have been a fan of Claire Danes since she was a ginge in love with Jared Leto (and what female born between 1975-1983 wasn't really) on "My So Called Life" - one of my all time favorite shows. I also have her to thank for the swing in my loft because my friends who gave us and installed said swing saw an interview with Claire years ago where she talked about the swing she installed in her Soho loft, and that gave them the idea to put a swing in their loft in Boston, which now lives in our loft. Loves it.

If you didn't catch the first showing of "Temple Grandin," definitely set your DVR and find it this week - it definitely gets the MLotVL seal of approval. Two thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment