Monday, December 28, 2009

Random Documentary I'm Glad I Stumbled Upon:



Not sure how this even happened since we hardly ever watch the Sundance Channel, but Jefe was flipping through the stations yesterday and landed on this documentary about uber talented singer/songwriter Rufus Wainwright, who happens to be my aunt's step-grandon and my cousin's nephew, but I'd be a huge fan of even if we weren't sort of related. As if it weren't enough that he's written some of the most gorgeous, melodic songs I've ever heard, is by far the best performer I've ever seen live and recreated Judy Garland's Carnegie Hall show to perfection in 2007..he had to go and write an entire opera. In French. This documentary shows a bit of the process and how much work went into this endeavor, with little comedic anecdotes from his father Loudie Wainwright - an amazing folk singer who we got to see perform in NYC in June and had a delish Indian dinner with at Tamarind. My aunt and cousin went to the opening night of Prima Donna in Manchester last July on their way to Italy (where my aunt owns the incredible villa we went to for our honeymoon) and said it was absolutely amazing, of course. I knew a lot of the people they interviewed and had heard some of the stories from my family but it was definitely cool to see it all rolled in to one fantastic film. Definitely worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment